Dedicated to the development of dance.
For over four decades, Halifax Dance has been a nationally recognized leader in dance education. Halifax Dance is an integral part of our region's artistic life, educating dancers of all ages and abilities.
Our teachers actively work in the profession, as performers, choreographers and educators, and love sharing their knowledge, experience and enthusiasm with their students.
Halifax Dance instructors are highly qualified, with many teaching after accomplished professional dance careers and extensive training. Our instructors provide students with the tools necessary for success and impart their knowledge through love and devotion to their art form. We work hard to create a safe and positive educational environment and recognize the importance of healthy development.
Our students learn technique, etiquette, respect for the art, respect for their instructors and fellow students, and the importance of working as a team. Students come away from Halifax Dance strong, well-rounded and more confident.
A diverse, vibrant dance community where everyone can experience and appreciate the joy of the art form.
Halifax Dance is dedicated to the development of dance, for all ages and abilities, through high quality training and outstanding performances.
In order to fulfill the mission, Halifax Dance is mandated to undertake the following activities:
- Program a variety of recreational dance classes for children, teens and adults
- Offer an Intensive Training Program for serious young dancers
- Hold a season-ending performance featuring child and teen students
- Be an active producing partner with Symphony Nova Scotia on the annual Nutcracker ballet
- Offer the Young Company for selected ITP dancers that includes the opportunity to dance to professionally choreographed work
- Offer an artist/company in residence studio rental program to professional dancers and the wider dance community to support rehearsal and creation activities
- Engage in community activities and events to enhance profile and visibility
We value the following, which guide the work, relationships and activities at Halifax Dance:
- Professionalism and respect in the instruction we give, the opportunities we provide to our students and in our interactions with everyone in the Halifax Dance community
- The well-being of our students, families, and colleagues, respecting whole body/mind health and individual needs and concerns
- Excellence and integrity in our approach to programming, instruction and administrative work, leading to the long term health and sustainability of the organization
Board of Directors
Jennifer Taylor- President
Margot Walsh- Vice President
Lisa James- Treasurer
Barbara MacDougall- Secretary